Personal Injury Cases Involving Slip & Fall / Trip & Fall Cases in Coral Springs
Although a trip and fall can be dangerous for anyone, they are particularly dangerous for the brittle bones of the elderly. Any slip and fall can cause serious injuries. If a property owner was to blame or in any way negligent, victims of a fall can be compensated for losses in some cases.
People often feel stupid after they fall. After all, they think, “why didn’t I see that?” It’s because you do not have eyes on your feet, and you look forward, not down, when you walk. Architects and engineers usually carefully design walkways to be safe, and incorporate visual aids such as planters, lights, bright paint and other warning devices. When not properly designed, cleaned or maintained, it is easy to unintentionally lose your footing. So don’t feel stupid, it may not have been your fault.
Common causes of slip and fall accident injuries include:
- Uneven floor surfaces
- Floor transition in elevation (especially when the two are of similar color)
- Slippery floors from substances
- Objects on floors
Important Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall Accident:
- Medical Help: Your health is your top priority. Seek medical attention immediately, even if the injury seems minor. Having your injury documented by a medical professional will provide proof if you choose to seek compensation for your medical bills.
- Document Everything: Document the exact time and location where you fell, if there were dangerous conditions, if there were any posted warning signs, and write down the circumstances. Take photos of the conditions if possible.
- Report It: If you fell in a store, apartment building, or even in a friend’s home, make sure you report it to the manager, homeowner or landlord. Ask them to make a report of the accident and obtain a copy before you leave.
- Call an Attorney: When considering legal action, call an experienced personal injury attorney. As many slip and fall cases are difficult to prove, you will need an attorney to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one are suffering an injury due to a slip and fall incident, contact our Coral Springs Slip & Fall Attorneys today at (954) 913-CASE (2273) for a complimentary consultation to see if you are eligible for financial compensation.
Think You Deserve Compensation For Your Coral Springs Slip And Fall Accident Injuries?
You slipped or tripped. You fell. Now what?
When people slip or trip and fall, in a store or any other public place, they are often left wondering what steps to take next. Many people think that just because they fell, that’s enough to hold the property owner responsible for their injuries, but that could not be farther from the truth.
In principle, accidents do not just happen. Accidents happen because of carelessness, recklessness, ignorance, or negligence. There are many rules and standards that govern property ownership and maintenance. When a store owner or business entity fails to follow these rules and standards, an accident is sure to happen, and someone is bound to become injured. But that person, as the claimant or plaintiff, still must prove every aspect of their claim, including the fault of the responsible party.
To prevail on a claim for premises liability, which is the umbrella under which slip and fall or trip and fall incidents fall under, you must prove that there was a dangerous condition that existed on a property that the owner knew about or, in the exercise of reasonable care, should have known about and failed to fix or correct. Many times, the victim of a slip and fall will not even know what caused them to the fall, let alone how the condition was created, how long it had been there or other important details. Other times, embarrassed by the fall, the injured person will simply dust themselves off and go home hoping that no one saw it, only to find out later that there are seriously injured. There are several immediate steps you can take to protect your rights following a fall.
- Stay calm. Screaming, ranting, and raving at a store employee who has no idea what happened to you never did anyone any good. Try to compose yourself and speak to that person as you would want to be spoken to. Remember, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. You want and need this person’s help. You were not injured on purpose.
- Contact the nearest person who works there, ask for a manager and tell them what happened. You should take any and all reasonable efforts to report your fall. If there is no record of it, for all the property owner is concerned, it never happened. Make sure you document how you fell, why you fell and what your immediate complaints are.
- Ask for a copy of the report. Most businesses train their employees to not give out incident reports, but it does not hurt to ask. If your request is refused, try to get any information they will give you, like the manager’s name, the investigating employee’s name, the report number. If they won’t give you anything, don’t be discouraged. It is normal and efforts can be made by your attorney later to try to gather this information.
- If possible, take photos or even video. Most cell phones have great cameras now. A picture is of course worth a thousand words. The minute you fall, anything and everything around you is evidence. Capturing the actual condition at the moment in time you fell can prove to be invaluable in cases like these. Try to take a few close-up shots and a few wider ones. If you are in pain and unable to do so, find a friend, family member or even a stranger in the area and ask for their help. Many people assume that the property owner has video or took photos and that their attorney can easily obtain these. Again, that is not always true. Many times, the only way we can obtain this visual evidence is through a court order well into the future. Having your own photos taken at the time of your fall is an essential step.
- Seek prompt medical attention. Many people go home and minimize or outright ignore their complaints. A fall is a trauma. You have no idea how your body is going to respond; how serious the damage is or what care you may need going forward. Furthermore, insurance companies and their attorneys routinely make the false argument that people who don’t seek medical attention quickly could not possibly be hurt. If you are in pain, seek immediate medical attention from a hospital, urgent care, walk-in clinic, or your personal doctor.
- Gather witness names and contact information. If anyone saw you fall or came to your aid, try to get their name and phone number. Evidence has a way of vanishing rather quickly. People’s memories often fade in time. Having someone who could confirm your version of events and describe the dangerous condition that caused you to fall, and your state afterwards is often the most important factor in a premises liability case.
- Contact an attorney. Make no mistake: once you fall, people begin working against you, gathering evidence, and trying to limit their exposure and liability. Many businesses and insurance companies are trained to contact injury victims a day or two after a fall to offer them some money for their troubles, cover their medical bills or even store credit. You’d be surprised how many people jump at these offers! But none of that takes into account your lost income from work, your future medical care, or the intangibles like pain, suffering, mental anguish or loss of enjoyment of life.
Speaking to a qualified personal injury attorney with experience in handling similar slip and fall or trip and fall claims is the best way to protect your rights. In Florida, while you have 4 years from the date of an accident to either file a lawsuit or settle your claim, hiring a personal injury attorney soon after your fall is probably the smartest thing you can do.
For more information on how premises liability claims are handled or to seek answers to questions you may have regarding trip and fall or slip and fall accidents, contact the personal injury attorneys of Rader Law Group today. Our attorneys are standing by and ready to help. We offer free consultations and a no recovery, no fee guarantee.
If you or a loved one are suffering an injury due to a slip and fall incident, contact our Coral Springs Slip & Fall lawyers today at (954) 913-CASE (2273) for a complimentary consultation to see if you are eligible for financial compensation.
Slip and Fall Settlements and Case Victories
- $1,000,000.00 Slip and fall;
- $500,000.00 Trip and fall on a mis-leveled walkway
- $300,000.00+ Slip and fall on a slippery floor
- $300,000.00+ Slip and fall poolside at a resort in Aruba
- $125,000.00 Slip and fall on wet and worn out pavers in the driveway of a busy hotel
We have resolved many other cases well in excess of 100K. Click here for more notable case results and victories from Rader Law Group, LLC.
Disclaimer: Past results are not a guarantee that we will be able to obtain a similar result for your case since each case is unique. Results represent gross judgement or settlement before any applicable post trial reductions and set offs, the payment of attorney fees, costs, Medicare, Medicaid and medical liens. All results are reflective of judgements or settlements obtained by an attorney at Rader Law Group, and may have been obtained before joining Rader Law Group.